[librecat-dev] MARC to CSV TSV export, conversion

Patrick Hochstenbach Patrick.Hochstenbach at UGent.be
Mon Oct 17 14:29:32 CEST 2016

Dear Aina

There isn’t in general a good method to map MARC to CSV. MARC isn’t a tabular format but a multi-dimensional array. You’ll end up with an Excel file with thousands of columns which is unworkable and something we can’t possibly support. Excel is a very bad choice for editing MARC data. Not only because of the many columns, but all kind of format and encoding problems.
Use tools as Catmandu, Perl or MARC to process large MARC dumps.

Patrick