[librecat-dev] Fwd: librecat extension possibilities

Patrick Hochstenbach Patrick.Hochstenbach at UGent.be
Wed Dec 13 11:56:30 CET 2017

Hello Jonathan

LibreCat is an open source project you can find the releases here: https://github.com/LibreCat/LibreCat/releases and

a demo server available at http://demo.librecat.org.<http://demo.librecat.org> The code is currently maintained by Bielefeld University and Ghent University who both run this system as an institutional repository, bibliography and a dark archive (Ghent only). We provide the software

as-is to the world in the hope it will be of use by others. There is currently no official (commercial) support for the project. We assist implementers to help them where needed, but our resources are limited and focussed to keep the software open and general enough to fit not only our local usage scenarios. To run the software it is very much advised to have a bit of knowledge of the LAMP stack (Perl, Apache, Linux and MySQL).

As for your specific questions:

User groups: users in the LibreCat software can be organised in departments and research groups. New publications added to the database will  automatically be grouped in the default department of the researcher. A  researcher can choose to be part of more than one  department/group. A publication can be part of one or more departments.  The edit rights to the publication metadata (and files) are:

   * The institutional authors of the publication

   * The person entering the metadata (that can be the researcher or a dedicated department proxy)

   * Dedicated reviewers

   * Super user (library admin)

Imports from external databases: out of the box there are import possibilities for CrossRef, PubMed, arXic, Inspire and Web of Knowledge. For all other imports there are command line tools available to transform data into the required input format (basically a YAML file with specific fields)

Large files: we put a restriction on uploading large files because it can take a long time and we don't want the user kept waiting. All uploads are streamed to a temporary location in on the server before ingest..a strict technical limit on X number of GB is not there. We always suggest users that very large files (e.g. hundreds of GB) can be imported via the backend tools. Our dark archive can accept files up to 2 TB (this is because our tape backup solution is restricted to maximum 2 TB files). The problem with research data we see is not that much technical (apart from long term preservation issues), but more management: who can access these files, what about secrecy, sensitive data. Files are stored as is (optionally with a MD5 checksum). Files can be available: open (to the world), local (to the institution), closed (only the owners of the publication), on request (by sending an email to the owner).

I hope this helps to get some insight.

Patrick

Maintainer Librecat

Ghent University