[librecat-dev] hook for after file is uploaded

Patrick Hochstenbach Patrick.Hochstenbach at UGent.be
Fri May 18 08:37:04 CEST 2018

Hi Jonathan

The place where the binary files of the repostory are stored is an abstraction with interface Catmandu::FileStore. There are different places a file can be stored: in a directory on disk, in a database, on a web service. With the current default settings the files are in a directory location on disk with a path defined in config/files.yml and a directorty structure based on the identifier of the record.

Normally you would never directly access this path, but use Perl code like:

my $file_store = h->get_file_store();
my $files         = $file_store->index->files(123);
my $file           = $files->get(“A_survey_of_stochastic_games_with_limsup_and_liminf_objectives.pdf”);

This $file can be streamed to an IO::Handle like this:

$files->stream($fh, $file);

Or the file can be overwritten from an IO::hande like this:

$files->upload($fh,“A_survey_of_stochastic_games_with_limsup_and_liminf_objectives.pdf”);

…

When you play dirty..you can find out the directory where the files of the publication is stored with the undocumented (special case..never use ..yada yada) method:

my $directory = $file->_path;

…

I would advice not to change files stored in the repository. You need to update also the publication metadata (e.g. file size , update dates , checksums). Also the file owner maybe not happy never to access anymore the original uploaded document.

What you want to present to the world is an access copy of the original file wth a prepended cover page. This could e.g. be done by overwriting the route ‘/download/:id/:file_id’ (what happens when someone wants to download the file (see: LibreCat::App::Catalogue::file). In your case you many want to create on-the-fly (or cache) a PDF with a cover page.

I think this is a service that might be in general interesting to develop for the LibreCat project: keeping master document as-is but provide a mechanism to provice access copies to the world (hint: you might want to create a git ticket for this feature)

Patrick